Thursday 1 July 2010

Love

Thoughts on this topic have been running around in my brain recently, and I have been wanting to write this entry for a while. Growing up is a funny/interesting/painful/wonderful inevitability. My favorite part about it is figuring out why I act and react the way I do to certain things, which in turn allows me to more fully understand why others act and react the way they do towards certain things.
The thoughts and knee-jerk reactions I have previously had regarding "Love" have recently been exposed and placed in the center ring for no one else but me, myself, and I to watch passively and note the horrific disfunction.
Mind blowing discovery #1: Love is not something to fear, or to fear the loss of. This seems like common sense, obviously. However, it is human nature to want what we cannot have. To hold onto that which is scarce. Love is not a supply-demand kind of business. Love should be always abundant. Not smothering, but active, aware.
Love is not tumultuous - it is peaceful, and that serenity comes from confidence in oneself and in the relationship. I can't tell you how many times I have made excuses and convinced myself that I was the one who was wrong for feeling upset, disappointed, or left high and dry. Its almost as if people love and thrive off of the drama, the pull and the abuse of a "relationship." At least they have something to vent about to their friends (or on a blog, haha).
Here's a bible verse that you have probably heard read at nearly every wedding you've ever attended; rightfully so, because it rings true, now, for me, more than ever.
"Love is patient, Love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast.
It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth.
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things,
and endures all things."
Corinthians 13:4-7


2 comments:

  1. Hey Ashleigh, just reading your above post, i'm totally with you on this one. I write alot about this 'complex issue' in my songs. Maybe if you get a few minutes you can check them out.. www.myspace.com/keithghalligan

    all the best,
    keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashleigh,

    Great topic and great verse. Also, the 1 st Corinthians 13 is definitely one of my favorite chapters, as it points out to central topic of love...

    God bless!

    Andrey.

    ReplyDelete